Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Balsa Wood Card

Hi everyone. Todays card is for the Hero Arts monthly challenge here which is to make a masculine card as well as follow a sketch.

For my card I decided to make it out of balsa wood, what could be more manly than a wood card, right? This wood comes in different thicknesses and can be found at arts & craft stores.

I ran the wood through my Cuttlebug using Nestabilities Labels Eight die and stamped the plaid background with Distress Ink. I inked up the fern stamp with various colours of Distress Inks and stamped over the plaid.  I really like how the wood grain doesn't allow for a perfect stamped image, I think it gives the card a more rustic feel.

The brown paper on the bottom of the card is actually sandpaper that has different speckles of browns and blacks in it. It's hard to see the great texture it adds to the card. I added a sentiment and button and did some more distressing around the edges of the card.

Wishing you an inky day!

14 comments:

  1. I love how this turned out, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ingenious. Never would have thought to do that! Great card!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, Sue! The perfect masculine card, imho!! I must go look for this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the HA tweet! I've never heard of this type of wood....although I may recognize if I look harder. This card is so sophisticated and fabulous for a guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This card is so cool, Sue! Love the texture from the wood and sand paper! Wonderful creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Sue! This is absolutely gorgeous. Love all the different textures. Perfect masculine card :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful masculine card perfect for Father's Day Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool...I've been meaning to use balsa wood in my cards for a while now, but have been too scared to go for it! Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful masculine card. Love the effect of the wood!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is wonderful. I love the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very charming and such a perfect masculine card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How earthy and beautiful. Subtle colors. Always love coming for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Sue; thx for the wonderful visit to Vankleek Hill this week. I just surfed your entire blog, and as i suspected you are ONE TALENTED LADY...Thank you so much for sharing.
    Be well, hope to see you soon. Nika

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! this is so cool! love love the wood background and the colors you used for the three ferns image. amazing card, Sue! love love it!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are very much appreciated!